But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, March 3, 2008

We're Off and Walking!

Day One of training is over and done with. I didn't really know what to expect, but can I say it was fun? It was! Not too tough yet, other than I found out I don't walk right. You might think that I'm upset to find this out, but I'm actually not. Here's what happened...

We started out by walking around the gym for ten minutes, concentrating on keeping our core muscles contracted. I'm a naturally fast walker and worried that my fellow walkers would think I was trying to walk fast, but I wasn't. In fact, I was making myself go slower than I normally walk. I suppose I shouldn't really worry about things like that.


Jamey walked over to me and asked if I realized that I swing my left arm more than my right when I walk. Nope. Never noticed that, but he's right, I do. I thought maybe it was because I have less range of motion in my right shoulder due to the problems I've had with it and the bulging discs in my neck. I developed that as a result of 25+ years of doing dental hygiene and probably not using the best posture when doing it.

He thinks I do it because of the mechanics of how I walk. My hips move up and down, due to weakness in the muscles of my left hip. I've had pain in that hip joint for quite some time now and tonight was no different. When Jamey held onto my hips as I walked, the pain disappeared. Amazing. If I can get rid of that pain by strengthening those muscles and changing the way I walk, I will be one very happy woman!

This isn't going to be easy, this change. I just walk, you know? Who knew that doing something that comes so naturally as walking could be so easy to do wrong and you not even be aware of it? I'll have to really concentrate on doing it the right way until it becomes second nature. Less pain will be a great motivator!

Then we did some core-strengthening exercises. I recognized a number of them from my Pilates DVD. By the time we finished with those, our hour was up. We'll be back again on Thursday for more of the same.

I headed north to Target, where I purchased a heart rate monitor. I looked at two of the Sportlines, including the one I pictured yesterday, but I settled on the less expensive 910 model. I also bought a pedometer, which I'd been wanting to get for awhile now anyway. As I walked to the checkout, I noticed the Easter candy and grabbed a bag of malted milk robin eggs - the kind with the hard shell that turn your mouth blue. Hey, I can only get those at Easter!

As I drove home, I noticed my body felt GOOD. My muscles were tingling, no doubt from being asked to do things they weren't used to, but it was a good feeling. The day may come when I'm not as enthusiastic and feeling as good about things as I do right now, but I'm going ride the wave as long as I can.

113

4 comments:

Tee said...

How on earth did you walk with someone holding your hips?

As you know, I'm all in favor of getting up and out and moving. It's not just good for the body, but for the spirit, too. Keep up the good work, Kylee!

Kylee Baumle said...

I don't know, but he kept them from moving the wrong way as I walked. I was just amazed at how there was no pain that way!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oh wow! Wouldn't that be wonderful if you could ride yourself of your hip pain? That would be so cool if with this training you could be free of that!

Hugs,
Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Kylee Baumle said...

We're working on it, Cindy! :-)