But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, March 31, 2008

Things I Learned Today


  1. ~ Running into the wind is really, really hard to do.

  2. ~ Running with the wind at your back is actually fun!

  3. ~ Sunshine makes me happy.

  4. ~ Flowers make me even happier.

  5. ~ A good day running makes you forget about a bad one.


Today, for the first time, I finally am able to imagine that I can run longer than three or four minutes at a time. I actually visualized myself running around "the block," which for me is four miles. We live out in the country in northwest Ohio, and thanks to the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, roads are laid out in one-mile square grids.

After Saturday's disastrous runs and feeling so discouraged, even to the point of thinking I just couldn't do this thing, today was FABULOUS! I was amazed at how good it felt by the time I finished. I wasn't really that tired and nothing hurt.

It went like this:


Run 2:00, Walk :15, Run 1:45
Walk 3:00, Run 2:50, Walk :30, Run 1:00
Walk 3:00, Run 4:00
Walk 3:00, Run 4:00
Walk 3:00, Run 8:08.

See that? I was feeling so good on that last run that I decided to see just how far I could run before I felt just like I did at the two-minute mark on the first run of today. Yes, the wind was at my back, but still... EIGHT MINUTES and EIGHT SECONDS! Then I got in the car to figure out the distance I had run in that eight minutes. A little over ¾-mile!

Life is good.

120

2 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go Kylee! 8 minutes already? Wow, I'm impressed. I keep meaning to hop on here and leave you messages of encouragement about "it will get easier, I promise", but you seem to be doing great.

I'm really proud of you - keep up the great work and keep us updated.

Kylee Baumle said...

Awww, Katie, thanks! I was so amazed at the world of difference between today and Saturday. And the eight minute thing...I don't expect to do that anytime again soon. I think the moon and stars were aligned just right today. LOL. But I was grateful, all the same!

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really helps! :-)