But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's Magic!


Last week, during group training, a couple of my fellow runners mentioned that they were starting to feel it coming together. In their words, they were "getting their groove on." I stood there thinking, "Whatever that means," because I sure wasn't feeling any of that.


Each and every day that I have attempted running, it has been a struggle. Mentally, for sure, because of how I hate exercise and running most of all. And physically, my body is protesting. Sometimes it's my legs - burning and heavy and tight. Sometimes it's my lungs - burning and inadequate. Sometimes it's muscular - just plain painful, every step of the way. And sometimes it's all three, as was the case last Saturday.

Then came Monday, March 31st. What a great day. Running felt good. I felt good. It was all good. And I was sure it was a fluke.

Tonight after work, Ashley, Kerrie and I ran together. According to the running schedule, we were to run 5:00, walk 2:30, and repeat three more times for a total of 30 minutes. I wasn't sure how it would go, since I'd been struggling just to run three minutes without stopping, up until Monday.

Today was just about a perfect day - right around 50° and sunny, with a light breeze. We headed out, Kerrie and I on the heels of our young and energetic leader, Ashley. She's our timekeeper and she may or may not tell us the correct time we have left when we're running, depending on how we're struggling. She's good at messing with your mind.

But lo and behold, I was able to do all four five-minute runs without dying. Since it's always a full week since the last time Ashley has seen me run, she can see improvement (or not) from one week to the next. She was amazed at how much better I was doing. "You've made a drastic improvement!" she told me.

It's as if a magical switch has been thrown and my body has decided to get with the program. It feels different and I can't tell you how much that has changed how I think about things. I now have an incredible amount of confidence that I will continue to improve and that by September, I will be in pretty good shape for the half-marathon.

Maybe runners aren't as crazy as I thought, after all.

122

3 comments:

Katie said...

Kylee - it's so fun to hear about your transformation! Before you know it, you'll be running MILES!

Good luck and thanks for the updates.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is only the second time I have looked at your marathon blog Kylee. I have gone back and read your progression. I am so happy to come in where the "Magic" has taken over. I so admire you for your efforts.

I on the other hand am nagged by Luna to get out most days for a walk. Of course with her in the lead I walk a pretty good clip, but running does not appeal to me. I should do some more exercise though I know. I am getting old and stiff. Ha..

Keep up the good work. Maybe I will be inspired by you.

Kylee Baumle said...

Thanks, Katie! I think I've definitely made some sort of corner turn and I'm so glad. Even with a difficult day now and then, I still feel like I'm making good progress. Thank you for the encouragement!

Lisa ~ Good to see you here, too! I would never have believed I would be doing this as recently as three months ago.

You can pretty much do what you put your mind to. It might take you longer than you expect it will, but persistence definitely pays off. If I lived close by, I'd get you out there and running with me!