But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Our Fearless Leader!


Our running group is being trained by Dr. Jamey Gordon, owner of Fort Wayne Physical Therapy. Now if we aren't fortunate enough that we're being trained by a physical therapist, Jamey is also a runner. He does
marathons.

Today, while Romie and I were outside planting shrubs and cleaning up the gardens, Jamey was in St. Louis running 26.2 miles. He did a darn good job of it, too. Out of nearly 10,000 runners, he placed 957th, putting him in the top 10% of all runners. Out of the 4246 male runners, he placed 698th, which places him in the top 16%. Great job, Jamey!

We have group training tomorrow, and I doubt Jamey wants to hear about how much of a struggle it was for both Romie and me when we ran today. But it was. When we got done, Romie said to me, "That was not fun at all." I wholeheartedly agreed.

Romie's been having hip pain, both sides. My legs were just tired and I didn't breathe well. We both only managed one five-minute run - the third one out of the four. The other three runs were broken up into running two or three minutes, walking a minute, then finishing out running so that the running part equaled five minutes.

For me, it probably didn't help much that by 5:00 p.m., when we started our run, the only thing I'd had to eat all day was two oatmeal raisin cookies. Nor the fact that I'd just spent five hours working in the gardens. I didn't forgo eating on purpose, I just was busy and didn't think about it. Serves me right that I had difficulty, but I don't know what's up with Romie's hip pain. He's going to take a few days off to see if the pain goes away.

This too shall pass.

1 comment:

beckie said...

Kylee, Hadn't checked out your progress in a while, but it sounds as though for the most part you are getting there! I have great admiration for you. You are certainly sticking with this. RAH! RAH!