But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Friday, April 18, 2008

Running By Moonlight


When I got up this morning, I was so stiff and sore that I wasn't sure what I was going to be able to do today, running aside. We'd planned a moonlight "stroll" for tonight, which was to include our son-in-law, Adam.

We worked all day outside in the yard, planting and cleaning the yard and gardens and I wasn't feeling much better by the end of the day than I had at the start. I still had to clean the house for Jenna's bridal shower tomorrow afternoon, but planned to do the bulk of that job in the morning.


I was so dirty from working outside that Romie suggested I take a bath even though I'd get sweaty if we did our planned run. That was a really good move, not only because indeed I did need a good clean-up, but the soaking in the hot water did much to temporarily relieve the soreness I was feeling.


When I got out of the tub, I felt pretty good and got dressed in running clothes. Adam and Kara arrived a short time later, and around 10:00 p.m., Romie, Adam and I took to the road.


BEST RUN EVER!


It was good in so many ways. Let me set the scene for you... The temperature was around 70° and there was no wind. We don't live on a heavily traveled road, and in the half hour that we were out there, we didn't have a single car go by.

It was so quiet that the only sounds were those of our six feet padding rhythmically along and our exhalations keeping time with our feet. Off in the distance we could hear a chorus of spring peepers.
Stars dotted the black sky and there were only a few clouds streaking across, made visible only because of the nearly full moon. The spring night air smelled good and was enhanced by the fact that our neighbor had mowed his yard that afternoon.

We ran for 11 minutes, then walked for three. We started running again and it felt so good that I challenged Adam to go another 11 minutes without stopping to walk, instead of the 7 minutes that was the recommended time to be running at this point in the training schedule. Romie was taking it easy since this was his first time out after taking some time off to allow the pain in his hips to subside.


When the 11 minutes was up, I was still feeling pretty good, so I asked Adam if he wanted to go another minute longer. I think I could have talked him into running around the mile square if I'd wanted to. We stopped at 12 and walked our way back to the house.


We all agreed that we loved running like this on a beautiful warm spring night, with the moon lighting our way. I think we'll be doing this again!

No comments: