But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Conversation With Self

Worked all day instead of just the afternoon. Ashley is gone for the week and Kerrie couldn't stay to run. Worked in the garden when I got home from work. Beautiful day, but kept putting off running...

Some days are like this. I can find every excuse in the world not to run. It doesn't matter if the weather is perfect (which it was) or that I've got the energy to run (which I did). I just didn't want to run, so I had to do some self-talking.


Me:
I don't want to run.
Self:
But it's your day to run.
Me:
I know, but I don't want to.
Self:
If you don't, you'll fall behind with your training and your stamina.
Me:
Yeah, I know, but I still don't want to run.
Self:
Yeah, I know, but you still have to.

It's a losing battle with my Self, this arguing about running. So I just did it. I had put it off so long that it was dark outside and I had to run on the treadmill, and that's a whole other thing. Ever since Jamey told me that my running 25 minutes on the treadmill converted to about 10-15 minutes of outside running, I've been in competition with my Self.


I had another conversation with my Self about how long to run on the treadmill without stopping. I had set the speed at 4.5 mph and started running. I told my Self that I'd run two 15-minute runs. As I got near the 15-minute mark, I felt really good, so I kept going. When I got to 20 minutes, I decided I might as well try for 25 minutes again. And that's when I told my Self that I needed to run at least 26 minutes, because as I said in the previous paragraph, I'm competing with my Self.


So I ran 27 minutes.

No comments: