But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Friday, April 4, 2008

Landmarks


Another successful running day...


Run 5:00, walk 2:30
Run 5:00, walk 2:30
Run 5:00, walk 2:30
Run 5:00, walk 2:30

It was a little tougher today than Wednesday, but I pushed myself and completed each run in pretty good shape. The weather was a downer when we started out. It was 45° and misting rain, but by the time we finished, that felt good.

When I'm starting to struggle during a run, I present myself with mini challenges. I look at what's ahead on the course and set a goal of getting to a landmark, such as the dead tree. Or the end of the cemetery fence. Or the pothole. And when I reach that, I set another goal. I do that until I am at the end of my minutes.

Works for me!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

As someone who is just starting a first garden, I creep your gardening blog, which led me here. Wow! What a great goal. I just have to comment and tell you how commendable this is. I started in January training for just a 5K. I'm not a runner either. Always hated it. I guess what I really want to achieve is figuring out why on earth runners like doing what they do???!!! I want to love running like they do. I'm not there yet. It was fun reading through your posts and relating all to well with so many of your feelings shared. Good luck with your running and the half marathon. Impressive, encouraging, and yes... a little crazy!

archivesinfo said...

Hi Kylee! Thanks for visiting my blog. How ambitious of you to maintain 3 of them! I actually am a runner. I started when I was 11 and have now been a runner for 26 years. I sometimes know why I do it. Sometimes I don't. In 1996, I ran a marathon. 26 miles 385 yards...it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but I smiled the whole way through it. The feeling of accomplishment, the energy I got from the other runners, waking each morning before anyone else in the neighborhood I got to enjoy the solitude...You will find that running gives you some of the same feelings that gardening does. Both give an opportunity to commune with the outdoors and be with your own thoughts...I didn't mean to go on and on. But I am rooting for you! BTW, is this the challenge you mentioned on my blog? One step at a time - one training session at a time and you'll get tere!

Kylee Baumle said...

Carolyn ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and make a comment! I'm not there yet either, Carolyn. I have had glimpses of the fun aspect of running, but at this point, it's still pretty much a struggle. I have faith that things will get better eventually, though.

Hang in there, Carolyn. Take it one day at a time. Do what you can and one day you'll look back and be so happy that you accomplished something you never thought you could do!

Melissa ~ Yes! This is the challenge I was referring to. And it is SUCH a huge challenge for me, as it is for a lot of people.

I admire you for running a marathon. That is some serious distance! But it's people like you that are encouraging to people like me. It makes me see that what I'm doing is possible. You're younger, but a half-marathon is shorter. And doable. (Did I just say that?? LOL)

Thank you for venturing over here and giving me encouragement! It helps so much, as I'm sure you and Carolyn know.