But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Daffodil Days

I just love group training. It's fun to see and talk with the other runners. We have a common goal and we're experiencing much of the same frustrations and triumphs.

Tonight, we did some more drills - different ones than the ones we did the other night, although we did those, too. After we did the new ones, we tried running using everything we'd worked on. The running felt different - better different. Easier, kind of.


While doing some new core strengthening exercises, I found something I'm good at! I'd not heard of "The Plank" before and it's something I've never done before either. (Remember, prior to this, I didn't do exercise.) You lie down on the floor, on your stomach. Then you prop yourself up on your elbows and forearms. Your feet are in contact with the floor by the toes only. You raise up your entire body until it's in a straight line and hold it that way as long as possible.


I wasn't trying to stay up any longer than anyone else, but that's what I did. Crystal was beside me and she stayed up pretty long, too. Jamey accused me of having a two-by-four holding me up. LOL. I don't know why I found this particular thing to be fairly easy, but I did. Finally! Something I can do well naturally!


My ankle was doing pretty well tonight, but the upper calf muscle on that leg was pretty sore and got more so as we continued. We didn't do our 30-minute run as a group tonight, so I planned to do that once I got home - outside - since it was such a nice day. (51° and sunny when I left to drive home.)
Once I got home though, my calf was too sore to run much.

Romie and I walked down to the next mile road and back, which was probably 1.7 miles (based on earlier walks). Romie couldn't keep up with my walking pace, even though he has longer legs. He just couldn't move his legs that fast, so he jogged to catch up every now and then. I did do some running, until my leg started tightening up and hurting. I'll try doing some more running tomorrow to make up for it.



It's Daffodil Days and before we left group training tonight, we were given bouquets of yellow daffodils from the American Cancer Society. To buy these fresh-cut bouquets would cost $10, so I think I'll make a donation. There isn't a single person alive that hasn't either known someone who had/has cancer or that hasn't had it themselves. Romie had his own bout with squamous cell carcinoma last year and my dad had melanoma nearly five years ago (and is still cancer free!).

117.5

1 comment:

kate smudges said...

Happy Easter Kylee!

You are doing an amazing job. Keep going ... it's great to see.