But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Uh-Oh


Last night, at group training, things didn't go so well for me. Well, okay, they were fine for awhile. I enjoyed talking with Jane and Monique, and we found that we had some of the very same experiences as we trained on our own at home. Must mean we're normal! (Whatever that is.)


We started out walking for five minutes, then Jamey led us in some drills. Prancing and kicking our butts was fun. Then came the scissory thingies. You know...the kind the basketball players do sometimes. Cross your right leg in front of your left as you move to the left, then the left leg goes left. Then place your right leg behind your left as you continue moving to the left. Repeat. We walked halfway across the gym like that. No problem.


Then Jamey wanted to speed it up. I don't know exactly when it happened, but when I got to the middle of the gym, my right ankle was in pain. Crystal turned to me and said, "I don't think you should keep doing these." I went one more time, and I think Crystal was right.


Next was a two-laps-around-the-gym run and I was in pain just walking. I tried to run and just couldn't. So I sat down and was bummed. I just didn't want this to happen. Not this early. Not ever, really.


Jamey checked it out after the session ended and told me to ice it and stay off of it last night. I did that, took some ibuprofen, and stayed off of it most of today, too. Iced it again this evening. I can pretty well walk straight ahead without pain, but let me turn a corner and ouch.

I did my strength training exercises and stretches this evening and didn't have too much of a problem doing them. Thankfully, it wasn't a running day, but I don't think I would have tried that anyway, even if it had been. I'm thinking as long as I don't do any sideways motion like what caused the strain in the first place, I might be okay in pretty short order.

I don't know why this surprises me. I sprained that ankle a couple of times when I was younger and I never could ice skate because my ankles couldn't hold me up in the skates. Jenna said to ask Jamey about exercises to strengthen my ankles.

Anyway, it's better tonight and while it will probably be a little stiff tomorrow morning, like it was this morning, I'm thinking it will be good enough for me to try running. Tomorrow is a running day and I'm going to wait until evening, just to give my ankle a little more time to calm down.

It's all part of the "experience"!

No comments: