But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Pain of Pilates


Several years ago (and I mean a lot of them), every now and then I'd get motivated for about a day to take on some sort of regular exercise. I remember once when step aerobics were popular, I bought a step aerobic kit at Target. I thought that sounded like exercise disguised as fun.

I brought it home and stashed it in the dining room (where quite a bit of things get stashed) until I was ready to open it up and get started.
About three months later, Romie said, "Are you going to ever take that step aerobics thing in the dining room back to Target?" What was he talking about? What did he mean, "take it back"? Ah, the voice of reason. I hate hearing it sometimes.

A few days later, I walked into Target, step aerobics kit in tow, and approached the service desk. I got out my receipt and placed the unopened box on the counter and stated that I wanted to return it. "Is there anything wrong with it?" the woman behind the counter asked. "Yeah," I said, "it didn't make me use it."

It was a long time before I ever thought about exercising again. But a few years later, a got a twitch and placed a Pilates DVD in my shopping cart. I'd heard Pilates was pretty low-key and more about stretching than pounding the pavement or dripping with sweat. Hmmmm... maybe this is something I can do. And what do you know - I did do it.

Every day for several months, I would lay out a blanket on the family room floor, pop the DVD in the player and for 22 minutes, I would breathe and stretch and contract and breathe and stretch. And it felt good! I hated the push-ups, though.


Then I quit. I don't remember exactly why I stopped doing Pilates; maybe I got sick and took a few days off and never started up again. In any case, the DVD went back into the cupboard and I never gave it another glance. Until today.


Those of you that do regular physical activity and know about Pilates - beginning Pilates at that - will probably laugh at me. While I never worked up a sweat, my arms and legs were shaky when I completed the routine. I'm telling you, unless it's gardening season, or I'm out geocaching, my spare time is spent in a near-vegetative state. I love to read and I spend a great deal of time on the computer.

This particular Pilates DVD is by Moira Merrithew and features her friends Tanji and Adriana. Moira calls the shots and Tanji and Adriana do what she says and make it look easy. IT'S NOT! Maybe by this time a month from now, I'll think it is, but not on Day One.

But hey, I'm making an effort. That's a step in the right direction, isn't it?


No comments: