But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let's Think About This...

You'd be surprised what goes through your head when you consider running 13.1 miles. Especially when the furthest you've ever run before is a mile, back in high school track, and that was 34 years ago.

I'm going to get winded. I'm going to get a major sideache. My legs are going to turn to jelly. And I'm a 50-year-old female that has had two kids who will be drinking lots of water to stay hydrated and running. Will we be allowed potty breaks?

Let's think of more pleasant things.

I don't have any running shoes, unless the Reeboks I got several years ago (and have hardly worn) will work. I think those are really made for walking, but I'm not sure. I know they're very cushiony with what seems like a lot of support, but what do I know?

What do I wear while working out? Hey, maybe I'll have to go shopping! Workout clothes! Now I'll have an excuse to buy new coordinated outfits! Can anyone recommend a good sports bra? Maybe I'll get one of those fancy sports watches. If I can't be good, I can at least look good.

This is going to be fun!

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh yes, this calls for a major equipment shopping excursion. One must look their best to do their best. Truly I think good shoes and socks are the thing to be most concerned about. You will want a watch that is a stop watch so you can time youself eventually.

Keep us up to date with all of your shopping and training. This is so exciting. Running... Can you walk if you would prefer?

Meems said...

Good for you, Kylee. I think you are on the right track with getting started excercise with accountability and trainers.

I encourage you to get some really good shoes- they make all the difference! I hope you LOVE it!

Kylee Baumle said...

Lisa ~ Yes, I can walk the entire thing if I want to. What are they going to do - use a cattle prod on me? LOLOLOL I might just have to walk at times, but we'll see!
And the shopping...ohhhhh, the SHOPPING!!! :-)))

Meems ~ I don't envision myself as a runner following the half marathon. But if it gets me into a regular exercising routine, it will be worth all the pain and effort.
That's the number one thing that people have told me - get a good pair of running shoes.