But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, February 25, 2008

One of Those Days ...

... or two. Yesterday, the fibromyalgia attacked with a vengeance. I feel like that lady in the commercial on TV. Every minute, every second of the day, all I could think about was how much I hurt all over. I didn't sleep well the night before because of it, tossing and turning in an effort to get into a comfortable position. So far today, it's better, although not gone totally, but then it never really is.

I usually have "good" pain medication for when it gets like this, but I don't have any right now. So I alternate taking ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and acetaminophen, but none of it really helps much that I can tell.

Kara gave me a couple of bottles of Mon·avie™ that she got when she was working at an expo in the mall. She knew the distributor, who was also there, and told him about my fibromyalgia, so he told her to give them to me to try. It's a blend of several fruits, including the açai berry, and is supposed to help with fibro. He said it would take a couple of bottles before I notice much of a difference, so we'll see.

The one thing that really helps when I feel like this is soaking in a hot tub of water, so I'm doing that a couple of times a day. My skin will suffer a bit, but it's worth it.

Another odd thing that I discovered that helps is when I contract all my muscles in my legs and butt and hold that position, the pain disappears. How strange is that? I'm taking this as a good sign for training and running this half-marathon, because I have a feeling there will be a lot of contracting of those muscles!

4 comments:

beckie said...

Kylee, Lisa atGreenbow sent me your blog. She and I are cousins and spent the weekend together. She thought we should "meet". I,too, have fibro. Have had for almost 10 years. So believe me I know what you are going through. I have a new med that I have found to be a miracle drug. Lyrica!!! I have been on it for almost 2 months and have been virtually pain free. If you would like to "tal about it. you can contact me at Dragonfly Corner (Blog) or I will give you my email.

Kylee Baumle said...

Hi Beckie! I'm so glad to meet you! I hope you'll be my occasional cheerleader through this thing, since you understand what it's like. I'm sure there may be times when I need advice, too, about ways to deal with difficulties due to the fibro.

I know about Lyrica and even tried it early last year. It did indeed help immensely and I thought, "OMG! Miracle drug!" And then I started itching. Non-stop. It drove me insane. They decided I was allergic to it.
Then we tried Cymbalta, which also is known to help fibromyalgia and yes, it helped, too! I thought, "OMG! Miracle drug!" Until we discovered it raised my blood pressure about 40 points. Now I have VERY low blood pressure, so it didn't put it at an alarmingly high rate, but when you consider how much of a percentage the increase was, we knew it wasn't good for ME. I tried it again, six months later, hoping the earlier experience was just a fluke, but we got the same results. My doctor said they encountered the same side-effect with an elderly patient of theirs, so apparently it affects some people this way. I wish I could take either one of them!

beckie said...

Kylee, I will certainly be your cheerleader! I am already very impressed with your reslove to do the marathon! I would never have taken on something lie that before, and actually not now either.
I am so sorrt you are allergic. I did the cymbalta thing, but saw no improvement. So it just goes to show that what works for one may not for another. If you don't mind telling me, whta dosage of the Lyrica were you on? I am on 50mg twice a day. I know they can prescribe up to 600mg a day.
Anyway, good luck with your training. And I do feel for you. Bad days ae really bad and good days only bad aren't they!!

Kylee Baumle said...

I don't remember what dosage it was, but I would imagine that they started out low. I think I took it for something like three weeks before the itching got too bad.

That's sure right - some days are really bad and the other days aren't ever without pain.

I had surgery on my feet several years ago and I suspect the leg pain that I'd been experiencing before that was the beginning of fibromyalgia, but I hadn't been diagnosed yet, which took three years. During the surgery, I had an epidural and the first thing I noticed and told the surgeon before he started the surgery was, "My legs don't hurt!" It was wonderful.

Back before that, the doctor had tried me on Neurontin and then Celebrex. The Neurontin caused me intestinal pain and while the Celebrex worked for awhile, then it stopped working for me altogether.

That's the worse thing about this: no good solutions for some of us! I'm happy that Lyrica is working for you! Maybe I'll try it again. I imagine I'll need to get my doctor's permission to begin this half-marathon thing (which I'm pretty sure he'll approve). Maybe I'll mention Lyrica to him again. Maybe I would have a different result another time.