But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rising To the Challenge

My dad thinks I'm crazy, my mom is cheering, my husband and younger daughter are laughing (as am I), and my older daughter thinks I'm cool.

Last week, one of our local TV stations, WPTA-TV Channel 21 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, issued a plea for people to apply to be one of ten chosen to go through a training program for running a half marathon (that's 13.1 miles!) in September. They wanted people who'd never run before, people least likely to do this, basically people who are out of shape. And I guess, people who are a little bit crazy to even think about doing something like this, but do it anyway.

That would be me. So I applied.

When I got home from work this evening, there was this e-mail waiting in my inbox:

Congratulations!

You have been selected from the large number of applicants to participate in the Fort 4 Fitness Half-Marathon Training Group!

We will be having an introductory meeting on Thursday, February 28th. We will be getting to know each other and discussing the rationale and structure of the program as well as scheduling the training sessions. Please reply to this email to confirm your attendance. The meeting will last about 90 minutes.

We are extremely excited about your potential and the motivational impact your efforts will have on each other, your families and our community!!


They know I'm 50 years old. They know I've got fibromyalgia. They know I'm not doing it to lose weight. They know I don't exercise AT ALL. Surely they know what a challenge this is going to be for me, which is probably one reason they chose me.


I know you're asking why I would even want to do this if I hate exercise, don't do it, and have aching muscles much of the time. I have my reasons.

  1. I know I need to exercise. My doctor has told me this and that it will help my fibromyalgia.

  2. I hate to exercise and while I know I should do it, there is no way I will unless I'm in a regimented program where there's ... and here is the really important part ... ACCOUNTABILITY.

  3. I love a challenge, and believe me, this is a big one.

  4. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

At the meeting next Thursday night, when we meet with the physical therapist/athletic trainer that is in charge, I'll learn more of what I've actually gotten myself into.

Stay tuned ...



3 comments:

Carleenp said...

Go Kylee!!!!! :D

kate said...

Kylee,

You go girl!! I hope it is good fun - you'll have enough people around making sure you don't overdo, so I will stand on the sidelines cheering for you.

It is a good idea ... you might find it makes gardening a whole lot easier!!

Big hug for you,
Kate ox

Kylee Baumle said...

Carleen ~ Hey, I know! You can come down and run it with me! :-)

Kate ~ Thank you for the encouragement! I'm hoping for exactly what you said and that I'll feel better physically as a result of the training. Hugs to you, too! :-)