But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Friday, February 22, 2008

Double Challenge

It's a given that this whole training/running thing is going to be a gigantic undertaking. Going from being a computer potato all winter to doing regular physical activity each and every day will probably put my body in shock.
Legs: "What does she think she's doing? These legs are made for walking, not RUNNING, for crying out loud!"

Heart: "Look. I pump enough blood for you to get from the bed to the computer chair to the mailbox and down to the cemetery and back now and then. And now you want me to work overtime? I am not happy, I just want you to know this."

Lungs:
"Geez, woman! The lower lobes retired years ago and they were quite happy about it. Now you want to press them into service. They are going to be on fire over this."

Me:
"Yeah, yeah. Get over it. I'm doing this, so you have to, too. How about if I give you special treats every day? You know, like carrots and bananas and chicken and nuts and nutritious stuff like that?"

Brain: "I'm so confused."


The change in my diet is going to be as much of a challenge to me as the physical training. My poor diet is as well-known as my dislike of exercise. (It's getting easier to say that word.) I love carbs and while I know those are an important part of any runner's diet, I eat almost exclusively carbs. Pasta, breads, crackers. Love 'em. Eat 'em a lot.

It's not that I don't like fruits and vegetables, it's just that I don't eat them all that much for some reason, and certainly not as often as I should. I did find an easy way to get a serving of each every day. V8® makes this thing called V·Fusion. Eight ounces of it gives you one serving of fruits and vegetables and it really tastes wonderful. I know, it's the lazy way out, but when I don't get them the normal way, this will be a good way to do it.

Oops. I just said "will be," didn't I? I think I'd better start eating better NOW. On second thought, I haven't started training yet, so I've got some time to think about this.

**Grabs a box of Wheatables and heads to the living room couch to watch The View.**

No comments: