But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Timing Is Everything


Since Labor Day is on a Monday and that's our usual training day, we switched it to Wednesday this week, again at Moser Park in New Haven. I got there around 5:10 and no one was there. It wouldn't be the first time that I missed a message about time and place, so I figured I was late.

I started out on the trail, walking my fastest, hoping I'd catch up to the group, if they'd started out at 5:00. Since I was walking and they were running, it was more likely that I'd meet them on their way back. I'd gone nearly two miles, which is the turnaround point for us, and no training group. It started to get dark and was thundering, so then maybe I thought I'd missed a message that training was canceled due to an approaching storm.

I turned around, and walked quickly back to Moser Park, just as it started to sprinkle. It was there that I saw our group. The meeting time was 5:30, not 5:00, and they'd sat under the pavilion talking, not running. While they were talking, I was walking, completing four miles in 53 minutes. Jamey said it wasn't bad and that I'd do just fine come race day.

:-)


No comments: