But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Four Miles!


As we are training by distance rather than time now, we are doing long runs on the weekends. I wasn't able to do mine yesterday, so today I ran the four miles that was on the schedule. Romie followed on the bicycle, since he's still having back issues, although they are much better.


I waited until evening to run - around 8:30 - which is a great time for me. It has cooled off by then and the wind has died down, making for a very pleasant way to spend the time running. Did I just say that? And did I just run four miles?

YES! And YES!

We have been training for nearly four months now and when I look back on how I was "back then," it is truly an amazing thing to behold.

I cannot stress how much this has helped me in so many ways. When I gotthe e-mail stating "Congratulations! You have been chosen..." my first thought was, "Oh crap. Now I have to do it. What was I thinking???" And in recent weeks, I now truly believe that I CAN run a half-marathon! This is HUGE!

I have hated exercise for DECADES. Can I say I like running? Ask me before I go out or in the first five minutes or so, and I'll say no. But ask me once I'm "in the groove" and I'll tell you how good it feels to be running. And when I'm finished with a run --- oh, if I could just bottle that and sell it, I'd be a rich woman. And I absolutely LOVE how my body feels! So fit and toned and healthy! It's really, really amazing, especially when I think that in 1999, I was told that it was a miracle I was even alive and that I might never walk again.

I am thankful to Jamey for donating his time and talents and professional services so that we can do this. We have to be a challenging group to deal with, and without Jamey, I'm sure that none of us would be where we are right now, wherever that is in the training process. The fact that Jamey believes in us has given me the confidence to stick with it, knowing if I quit, I was not being fair to myself or to anyone else who had hoped to be a part of our group. Outside of the race, I have met some wonderful people and have enjoyed the fellowship with them.

The four-mile run felt good, even though I'd not run since my Monday run with Kevin. I was tired by the time I was done, but that was understandable. Except for a three-minute bathroom break in the middle, I ran the entire four miles.

We're to run four miles next weekend too, then the distance will start increasing again, by a mile each week.

2 comments:

Meems said...

Kylee: Sorry I haven't been here in so long. Gosh, life is so busy much less the intense gardening then blogging about it. :-)

Can I just tell you I am SO proud of you. Yes proud!You have come so far and believe me I know what its like to finally hit that 4 mile mark after not liking to jog at all. But just to think you have only been doing this for a few months. You have done a fabulous job! You are going to get this half-marathon done and you are going to do it well --- I can just tell.

It is inspiring to read your progress. Over the past few months I've struggled with my exercise routine. Mostly because it has been the same thing for so long I think. Jogging up and down my street by myself with my i-pod in my ears can be a bit boring. Not only that but there are only so many hours in the morning when the heat isn't unbearable and I have to fit in my jogging and my gardening. This week I've gotten back on track and it feels really good but it is easy to get off again. I'll keep rooting you on as you continue to build your mileage. I am so happy for you!
Meems

Kylee Baumle said...

Oh meems, I totally understand about the lack of time! Seems like I've been so very busy as well, and the summer is just flying by. I marvel every day at how far along the garden is, and then I look at the calendar and it IS July, after all!

Thank you SO much for your encouragement! Wouldn't it be great if we were neighbors and could run together? We could keep each other going! It's still hard to make myself get out there and run. But September will be here before I know it and I'll be glad that I kept up with the training.

I'm glad you're back at your running schedule, too! I can't imagine how hard it must be in that Florida heat. It's been pretty warm here, too, and I just have to wait until later in the evening.

Keep it up, meems!!!