But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Changes


I lost my Wednesday running partner today. I work with Ashley, a 25-year-old ball of fire that amazes me with her energy. Was I like that 25 years ago? Yeah, she's half my age, and the same age as my younger daughter Jenna. But we get along great at work and on the running trails, in spite of the age difference.


But Ashley and I won't be running together anymore. I was let go from my job today. Not because I didn't do a good job (I was assured that I did) nor because I was hard to work with (my employer told me I always put a smile on his face because I was so upbeat and pleasant). No, it was because of reorganization, you could say. I work part-time and he wanted all full-time employees. He offered me full-time, but I declined. Two other part-time employees were also let go.

My work was a half-hour drive away, and as much as I'd like to, for me to make the trip in to run with Ashley isn't economically smart, with the price of gas being so high.

I was supposed to run three miles tonight, and I was all set to go down to the Greenway and do just that. I felt like it was going to be a good running day. But after taking a detour sitting on the other side of my employer's desk, I lost my enthusiasm and just headed home.

I'll miss running with Ashley, and I'll miss my job. Working half a day might seem trivial to some, but it provided me with spending money and I enjoyed my coworkers and my patients. It also kept me active in my profession. I'll still have the opportunity to sub for the remaining hygienists there, but it won't be the same.

This too shall pass...

1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hate to hear that you lost your job Kylee. I hope you find something to take its place, if you want to.

I love reading your running blog but I don't do it very often. I think it is because I feel guilty because I am so out of shape and Iknow I would feel better if I did something like this. Actually any exercise would be better than what I do now which is nothing.

Keep up the good work girl. I am really proud of you. Running 5 miles. Whew... Isn't a half marathon a 12 mile run? Or is it a 13.5mile run?? What ever I will be rooting for you.