But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Three Rivers Running Company


Tonight the group met at Three Rivers Running Company on the north side of Fort Wayne to be advised about shoes, socks, fitness wear, and other equipment. It was good to be with the group again, since I'd not seen them for a week and a half. I hate missing training because being among my fellow runners is in a way motivating, even if we're not actively training.

Casey explains the basic construction of a running shoe.


Here at Three Rivers, you can have your running analyzed by digital filming as you run on the treadmill.

Justin has his running style analyzed.


They look at your running style, mainly whether you pronate, supinate, or are generally neutral as your foot strikes the ground. I had no clue what I did, but a quick analysis showed that I pronate (shown in photo at right).

I had already purchased shoes about a month ago - New Balance 661 - just because I needed a pair, so I was interested to know if the pair I'd bought were okay for me. I found out that they were generally neutral and decent shoes, although it would have been better had I purchased a size larger than my usual 8½. To help with my pronation, I purchased inserts that help stabilize my arches.

I also purchased a pair of thin socks, which I prefer anyway, and they will also help create just a smidge more room in my shoes. We learned that socks make a big difference when running long distances. Actually, each little component adds up to a more pleasant running experience - shoes, clothing, socks.

We also learned about fabrics and how they can help wick away moisture (mostly known as sweat). While cotton is good for absorbing the moisture, it's not very good at helping it evaporate away, so most running attire is made of polyester or nylon, or a blend, because of their excellent moisture control properties.

I spoke with Casey, one of the managers, about how I'd been struggling with getting out to run, and he reminded of one of the methods that I'd actually used before, but had forgotten - that of setting a short goal as I got out on the road or on the treadmill. I'd tell myself I'd just run five minutes and see how I felt after that. Then I'd set another small goal, then another, and before I knew it, my time was in. I needed this reminder to jump start my routine again.

When I got home tonight, I came right in the house and immediately went to the basement to run on the treadmill (after stretching). The treadmill wasn't running right. I got mad. Here I was, ready to get back on the horse and the stupid treadmill wouldn't go any faster than 2.5 mph.

Nothing like a little anger to get you outside in the 48° rain to run. I didn't feel well, either due to the poison ivy, the steroids, the fibromyalgia or all three, yet I just had to get started again, or it was just one more day that I didn't run.

I managed to run 9 minutes, walk two, then ran just 7 more minutes before the rain and the wind got the better of me and I came in. I was really nauseated by the time I finished, so I don't think I could have completed the regular run anyway, even in good weather. After stretching, and a hot bath, I felt a lot better. And I had run. Even if it was only 16 minutes. It's a lot of steps in the right direction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Footnote: Romie got the treadmill fixed two minutes after I'd left the house to run in the rain. The variable speed pulley was stuck.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up your training. I am the athlete and I don't have the will to do what you are doing. I am impressed!! Maybe you will inspire me to get my "butt" in gear. LOL