But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, July 7, 2008

True Confessions


We had group training tonight and I just had to get something off my chest. I felt guilty about it and just needed to confess. I'm not sure if confessing it did a whole lot for me, but I just felt the need for full disclosure.

I haven't done a single core strengthening exercise since we last did them in group training at the ASH Centre. That was a very long time ago. I don't mind doing them, so I'm not sure why I'm not doing them.

Maybe it's because my running seems to be going fine without them. Maybe it's because I'm a very active gardener with multiple large gardens, and I do a lot of lunging and stretching and believe me, my core gets a pretty good workout. Maybe it's because the gardening tires me out, especially in this heat, and I don't have the energy to do those exercises.

The truth is I just got out of the habit and you know how hard it is to get back into a routine once you've broken it several days in a row. The rest of the truth is that this has been my problem my whole life when it comes to exercise. Even when I find a form of exercise that I like a little bit, for some reason, it tends to go by the wayside pretty early on. In fact, I can't believe I've actually stuck with this half-marathon thing.

Up until a month ago, if I had been given an "out" with this thing, I would have taken it, I think. Although when it comes right down to it, I'd feel guilty if I didn't see this opportunity that's been given to me all the way through to the end. It would feel sort of like stealing. Stealing an opportunity that someone else could have been given.

So I keep going - struggling at times - because it's for my own good and because Jamie has given so much of his time and expertise to expertly lead us through this. I never could have done this any other way.

No comments: