But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, July 14, 2008

Does Hiking Count?


We spent the weekend in Hocking Hills (Ohio) attending LilyFest on Friday and hiking all over the Hocking State Park. The Hocking Hills are the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and have many beautiful caves and waterfalls, with the most well-known being Old Man's Cave and Cedar Falls.

On Saturday, we hiked from Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls and back, which is a part of the Buckeye Trail. It's not a flat hike and you need to be careful, or you might fall. I know this from firsthand experience. The soil there contains a lot of sand and this sand on trails that are heavily rock-infested can make for an accident waiting to happen. I didn't have to wait too long, falling on Saturday morning, after slipping on a sand-covered rock and landing with my backside on that rock. Ouch!



At the end of the day, we had hiked about seven miles and it wasn't flat ground, so I allowed myself a by and I didn't run the six miles that were on the schedule. Sunday was spend taking a leisurely time of heading home, with several stops along the way, and by the time we got home, I just wanted to plop on the couch, so I did.

As Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."

No comments: