But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another Goal Met


Early in this venture, I set one of my goals as running from our house to my home town. It's not a huge goal, and I kind of forgot about it until I tried to figure out some different ways of meeting my mileage. When you live smack dab in the middle of farm country, telephone poles and expansive fields can get boring.

So tonight I suggested to Romie that we run to town. He hasn't been running much so he wasn't very excited about this idea, but I'd worked it all out in my mind ahead of time.

We have a tandem bicycle so I thought Romie could ride the tandem alongside me while I ran, and once I'd completed my required four miles, then we could ride home together. He liked it, so off we went.

It was hot and a little breezy, but none of that seemed to bother me. The wheat was golden and smelled yummy. The farmers would be cutting it soon.

I figured it was 3.2 miles from our house to the old train track bed on the west edge of town.
Once I made it to town, I kept running for a few blocks, trying to decide if I wanted to go further or not. I was hot and tired and Romie mentioned that he wanted to try running, so we traded places.

He ran for about a mile and a half, then we rode the rest of the way back home together on the tandem.
Now that this goal has been met, I need to set a new one: run to town and back. That would be a little over 10K (6.2 miles).

I've temporarily gone back to wearing the first pair of running shoes I bought because that little blister I developed over the weekend still bothers me when I wear the shoes that I was wearing when I got it. Socks matter.

No comments: