But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Spirit Is Willing . . .


...but the legs (and lungs and stomach) are weak. I wanted to knock off that 7-mile run tonight. I had been planning for it all day at work. I was really psyched for it. The day had been cooler, even raining a bit, and when I got home, I changed into my running attire and got ready for the road.

The plan was to run to the Grange and back (2.8 miles) and then all the way around the square (an additional 3.8 miles). An additional short run to the edge of the northern neighbor's property and back would put me right at seven. Piece of cake.

. . .

By the time I got just one mile from home, my plan had started to fall apart. My chest felt heavy, my legs were dragging, and sweat was already dripping down my forehead, through my eyebrows, into my eyes. Sweat stings.

I got to the Grange and turned back towards home. I'd already walked some, which is unusual for me at this point in the game. I struggled to run even five minutes at a time without stopping to walk. I began to wonder if I would even make it back home. Walking.

But once I got there and had put in 2.8 miles, I figured I might as well make it an even 3.0, but once I finished that, I was finished period. My clothes were soaked through with sweat, my face was hot, my head was throbbing, and my legs threatened to throw me to the ground.

Now just why couldn't I go more than that? I wanted to, I really did! I had visualized my running the course I'd set for myself and what I had seen was so far from the reality.

There will be better days than today for running. Each day presents a new opportunity to reach a goal, no matter how large or small. Besides, running three miles is better than running no miles.

Right?

2 comments:

Meems said...

Yes, absolutely running 3 miles is better than none. Kudos for you for all three!!! I stopped over to let you know I prayed for this morning while I was 'walking'. My jogging has gone down the tubes this summer so I am back to walk/jogging alternately.

Kylee, you are doing great! There are just some days that are better than others. Our legs sometimes don't cooperate with our head!Tomorrow will probably be a whole other story. Keep up the good work.
Meems

Kylee Baumle said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, Meems. You and I both know what power they hold!

And YOU keep up your running! I really admire anyone who sticks with this without having a special race to train for. I don't think I could do it.